The Heat & Frost Insulators & Allied Workers represent skilled workers in the mechanical insulation industry, including those who install and maintain insulation systems for HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) systems, industrial equipment, and more.
Here are some of the key responsibilities and tasks of unionized heat and frost workers in NYS:
- Mechanical Insulation: Insulating pipes, ducts, and equipment to prevent heat loss, condensation, and temperature fluctuations. This insulation helps improve energy efficiency and reduce heating and cooling costs.
- Thermal Insulation: Installing insulation materials to maintain temperature control in industrial processes, such as in manufacturing facilities or power plants.
- Soundproofing: Applying insulation to reduce noise levels in commercial and industrial settings.
- Vapor Barrier Installation: Installing vapor barriers to control moisture and prevent condensation.
- Custom Fabrication: Creating custom insulation systems and materials to meet specific project requirements.
- HVAC Insulation: Insulating HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) systems to ensure they operate efficiently and maintain indoor air quality.
- Energy Auditing: Conducting energy audits to identify areas where insulation and thermal improvements can reduce energy consumption.
- Maintenance and Repair: Inspecting, repairing, and maintaining insulation systems to ensure they continue to function effectively over time.
- Blueprint Reading: Interpreting construction plans and blueprints to determine insulation requirements and layout.